Sunday, March 16, 2008

Lazy day and the 3rd disaster averted!

Well the 3rd disaster has been narrowly averted. Last night, during some routine maintenance on the laptop, my over enthusiastic security software threw up a few warning messages about something attempting to modify my registry. In blind panic I hit the block command several times until the message vanished. Unfortunately, whatever it was was obviously a goodie as I then lost all my programme shortcuts. I couldn't access anything at all on the computer and was panicking fast. I attempted a restore but couldn't even access that. Finally, I re-booted the machine in safe mode and attempted a restore from there which worked successfully. My laptop now thinks it's Friday still so maybe there's good grounds for another weekend! I have now uninstalled the over enthusiastic Lavasoft Adaware, (this is the second time it's done that,) and am relying on Kaspersky Internet security suite and the entire performance suite of Ascentive software which I find works extremely well in being simple, safe and doing what ti says on the tin. I especially like the internet optimisation tool 'ActiveSpeed' which really does significantly speed up any connection by optimising settings rather than just relying on caching of frequently viewed pages, all of which are cleared out by regular maintenance anyway
After the warmth and stillness of yesterday, the night blew a hooley again! My new satellite settings were disrupted as the dish blew out of line but it was a very simple job this morning to set up again which was good news. A cold, wet and very windy day again today meant I have done nothing.... and loved every single second of doing nothing too! Wow do I feel good for it!

My wireless internet seems to be behaving a bit better at the momentand is connecting well, holding its connection and speed fairly well and lightening quick exceeding most bandwidth tests performed online.
I took some pictures today of the daffodils around the marina looking resplendant even in the absence of sunshine!

Plans are well afoot for the open day on April 5th. I see the advert is in this months waterway press. It would be lovely to see any friends of my blog at the open day to put faces to names or even just to say hi! If you are after a mooring then it would be even better to see you!! (Steve, remaning spaces are now going fast!!)

The weather forecast for the end of the week and over Easter is, as usual, decidedly 'iffy'! It looks like I'll be heading towards Fradley junction in strong winds and lashing rain - no surprises there then. I guess Atherston has to continue its reputation with me of always been wet and windy and even more so when working solo!

Still, only 3 more days 'till the 'off' and then I guess, I'll be joining millions of other people venturing out for the first cruise of the season. With parents evenings on Monday evening, helping my neighbour pump-out on Tuesday evening, last minute shopping and cleaning on Wednesday evening and then off on Thursday, this may well be last post from my high speed connection - the next one being via Orange somewhere around Atherstone at the end of the week. Farewell cruel world!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home