Thursday, March 13, 2008

Clarence, T-Mobile and Tiscali

It's always interesting to see a new boat in its 'embryonic' stages and somehow these views of NB Clarence seems to fit the image of her in the 'workshop womb'!

Got my T-Mobile card today. It's not a USB modem as promised but is a very different designed card than my last one - a lot more compact and neat. Quite a shame almost that I won't be needing it but at least I have made my point and only one month before I can cancel my T-Mobile contract and be rid of them for good!

Tiscali has connected wirelessly tonight although it did take a long time to finally connect and register to the network when I first switched on - I'm still not sure if it was just fluke that it connected or if it just took a long time. The speed is very erratic this evening fluctuating between 1.0 Mbps to 54 Mbps, not sure why but I guess it may fluctuate depending on how many other people are connected through my exchange - don't know much about it really but I'm sure someone will explain. I put wireless broadband in the same category as Voodoo dolls and black magic personally!!

A beautiful morning this morning. The winds have finally subsided and the sun and blue sky briefly took centre stage before threatening rain clouds upstaged them from mid afternoon onwards. Tomorrow, I have to find something red to wear in order to fit in with the Sports relief efforts of the school - no ideas what!

Another weekend looms fast and I have promised myself that this weekend I will devote a fair bit of time to Khayamanzi in favour of everyone else in the world! I need to prep. her before leaving next week. The plan so far is to travel solo down to Norton Junction where I will meet my father and we will then travel on either further down the Grand Union or up the Nene. Can anyone suggest which and what I would need to know about the Nene if I decided that route? Is it BW, what is it like? What are the locks like? etc etc.

6 Comments:

At 10:33 pm, Blogger Adam said...

The Nene is Environment Agency, which means you need an EA licence and a key. Haven't been there myself, but I enjoyed the description by Sarah on nb Warrior of the locks, and how much hard work they are. Scroll down to the entry for 7th August: http://nbwarrior.blogspot.com/2007_08_01_archive.html

 
At 9:17 am, Blogger Mo said...

Hi, you will enjoy the Nene if you get there. The Nene is EA so you will need a licence unless you have a gold licence already. You will also need a Nene key for locks and services which you can get from Gayton marina. We had a great time down there a couple of years ago, some pix on our blog if you are interested. have fun!

Mo and Nessa Balmaha

 
At 4:17 pm, Blogger Chas and Ann said...

Hi Andy, The River Nene, Fenland and Ouse are all Environment Agency so you need a Gold licence from BW. Gold starts in January so you will get a refund. Get the Imray maps that cover those rivers.
Chas

 
At 8:51 pm, Blogger Khayamanzi said...

Thanks for this - I believe you can get a visitor licence on entry? Is it a river worth while?

 
At 8:52 pm, Blogger Khayamanzi said...

Thanks Mo for the helpful info.

 
At 8:53 pm, Blogger Khayamanzi said...

Thanks Adam - I'll take a look in a minute.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home