Thursday, March 20, 2008

Easter - Day 001

After a lazy start to the day, I set off this morning at around 11.00 being blown out of the marina and with spits of rain in the air. The wind died down as I entered the cut but continued gusty all day long. Although the rain stayed away, (except the odd few speckles,) the wind and wind chill made it quite unpleasant! I shall start with a nice clean picture of the roof of Khayamanzi as I decided not to take my canoe with me! This picture was just outside the marina at the start of the trip.
Passing through Rose Narrowboats and I noticed this boat getting a stretch! I think it's the first time I've ever seen a boat in the process of being stretched and it was quite interesting!
At Carters Bridge, around 3 miles before Sutton Stop, I encountered a boat making arratic movements. It turned out to have lost it's gearbox which had jammed totally. Apparently the first gearbox packed in, a new one was put on having been purchased from Calcutt Boats - it lasted 6 weeks. The latest one has lasted a little longer before packing in and they were, to say the least, hacked off! You can't leave a boater stranded and so I gave Jo and Ivan a tow to Sutton Stop.
Onwards and Northwards and I revved up and kept my head down as I beat a hasty path through the bandit territory of Bedworth and Nuneaton. Past the group of kiddies smashing up a gate with a hammer, past the teenager riding down the towpath on his motor bike, past the group of teenage mums with baby strollers all drinking and smoking under the bridge, through the floating driftwood, shopping trollies, stolen and abandoned bikes etc etc. until my final mooring place just after bridge 23 on the Coventry Canal. On my way, I pulled up alongside this working barge which proudly displayed a sign saying 'free logs'. Excitedly I tied up wondering if there would be any left only to see an entire barge load - obviously not cut up by a boater! They were all either too large to be burnt in a stove as they are or had been cut up too small to safely be held whilst being sut smaller. I was very disappointed but clearly realised why they had all been left.
I am now typing this with the somewhat worrying sound of a constantly circling police helicopter. Tomorrow, weather permitting, I have about an hour to Atherstone top lock and on into more pleasant, remote and rural lands.
Locks - 1
Hours - 6
Miles - 16

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home