Sunday, June 08, 2008

Wonderful!

Out and about on board Khayamanzi today - couldn't possibly stay in with temperatures soaring to the 30's. Took Simba to the vets this morning as he had managed to pick up a tick which caused a skin irritation and a little lump had appeared. I reckon he got it in the Lake District from those sheep. £80 later and he had more Frontline tick and flea stuff, 2 injections and a thorough examination, (apparently he's 2KG over weight - I'm just glad he didn't weigh me!)

Returned home and spent some time doing some reports before the lure of the open water and the blue sky got too much for me.

Half way towards Rugby and I passed my brother on K2 coming back up. He 'spun' K2 round and we headed off together towards the Willow Wren arm. Just before the arm, he pulled alongside and we swapped boats for a while so I could give it a try - never again! This was the result....

Any vintage owner will probably immediately know what I did! I pulled the gear change lever too hard and pulled his linkage out - result: boat going forward, me with no gear and no stop button in reach - panic! A nifty bit of handling between us and we managed to swap boats back so he could sort it out. I used to be a vintage engine admirer but I have to say it was nice to get back on board Khayamanzi and enjoy the scenery without the constant worry of what was comign up and which wheel, button or lever I needed to pull, push or turn next! I think the best of both worlds is a vintage engine with single lever control!

I leave you this evening with a short video clip of my boating trip on Ulleswater in the Lake District the other week.


2 Comments:

At 9:01 am, Blogger Eldred Curwen said...

Lovely looking boats. As a Lake District resident it is a shame we never see any long boats on the lakes. I live here if you are interested ever, or if they ever re-open the Lancaster to Kendal canal. Even talk of linking it to Windermere itself! Now that would be cool. Any way these are my cottages...Holiday Cottages Cumbria

 
At 8:30 pm, Blogger Khayamanzi said...

Hi there and thanks for the comments.

You live in a lovely place and it would be great if those canals opened!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home