Tuesday, January 08, 2008

On yer bike!!

Woke up this morning and couldn't even put my foot to the floor! I hopped to the bathroom and back, noticed that the ankle was still extremely swollen and made the executive decision that I needed to take a day to get the swelling down. Apart from a minor operation, this is the first day off I've had to take in over 6 years of teaching so I guess I shouldn't feel too bad - I just hate not being there especially on the first day back!

Sitting here with my foot in an elevated, (but not very comfortable!) position as per the doctors orders, my thoughts have turned to exercise again! I am still determined to get my fitness back and loose weight. Sure I have slimmed down the diet and, (very unusually for me,) still have several boxes of chocolates still sitting here untouched from Christmas but clearly the impact of running is not going to be such a good idea, especially on dark nights, around country lanes and with a weak ankle. Now to bikes....

.....I think I'll go cycling! I feel a little like 'Toad of Toad Hall' in 'The Wind in the Willows'. I half expect to be seen driving around the country lanes in an old open top sports car going 'poop - poop'! I think cycling will have less impact on my ankle yet still have the same effect so long as I still get my heart into my training zone. I can use towpaths in the summer months and stick to the road in the winter and can also use it more for genuine purposes such as popping into the village etc. so has an added environmental benefit too. I used to do a lot of mountain biking as a kid and young teenager so rekindling part of my past sounds good, (oh dear, I sound as if I'm having a mid life crisis and I'm nowhere near old enough for that yet!)

I want to find a mountain bike with quick release front wheels so that I can fit it comfortably in my cratch, (I don't want one of those expensive and horrid looking folding ones,) but I also fancy suspension as this was never around in my days and I quite fancy the luxury of it and I don't want to spend a small fortune! I think Halfords beckons at the weekend! Watch this space....

9 Comments:

At 4:01 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ok forget suspension well, on the back anyway! - it simply absorbs your push power! If you can manage the sore bum, ride without the gas!!
Most mid range mountain bikes have quick release. Suggest you will also need a lightweight frame to lift it in and out the cratch - hmmm that's when the money pile starts getting bigger....

 
At 4:21 pm, Blogger Khayamanzi said...

Sounds pretty much along my lines of thinkingexcept for the technical bits! So, get Googling for me - what do you recommend. The lightweight frame bit kinda defeats the point doesn't it! Lifting it in and out of the cratch is additional exercise!!

 
At 11:11 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Andy,

sorry to hear about the ankle. Cycling is the best as you get the exercise and also can make useful distance, shopping, pub etc.

For the tow path go for a suspension saddle - I brought a Carrera Subway 8 Mens 20" Town & Trail Bike - it is a little heavy but it has all the components protected (hub gears and hub breaks) so minimal maintainance

Good luck and take care on the roads.....

Nev

 
At 11:23 pm, Blogger Khayamanzi said...

Hi there Nev and many thanks for the excellent advice. I'll take a look at your bike on trusty Google tomorrow!

Cheers for now

ps. Cycling to the pub - never crossed my mnd ;)

 
At 10:35 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.evanscycles.com/product.jsp?style=86114

http://www.evanscycles.com/product.jsp?style=86113

http://www.evanscycles.com/product.jsp?style=86112

Have a look!! - titanium is lighter and stronger - disc brakes are valuable... still don't agree with saddle suspension. it absorbs too much of your peddle push, ok it may ease the bum pain - but I don't think so... that's got more to do with ensuring the saddle itself fits you, ie not to thin / fat, padded, girth etc...

 
At 11:55 am, Blogger Khayamanzi said...

Thanks, I'll take a look later

 
At 12:29 pm, Blogger Khayamanzi said...

Yer 'aving a larf!!

The cheapest of those links was £800!! No chance. If I pay a bit of £200 it will be £100 too much!!

Try again....

 
At 6:44 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL - OK, don't blame me if you hurt yer back lifting it into the cratch, fall off it when the brakes fail cos of the wet, or simply end up with a sore bum!!!
You pay for what's yer get
(Says he, who Merc is now in the garage AGAIN for more electrical faults!!)

 
At 7:51 pm, Blogger Khayamanzi said...

I'll take that chance for the sake of 500 odd quid!! We're not all company directors driving top of the range Mercs. and owning classic vintage Kelvin powered boats you know!!LOL
BTW, sorry to hear that the Merc. has electrical problems. Perhaps you should get one of those new 1200 quid cars launched today!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home