Friday, December 28, 2007

Off, off and away!

We almost didn't though! Woke up the morning to a howling wind and the threat of impending heavy rain. The Dunkirk spirit prevailed however and by 11.00am we were manouevering into position for a pump-out prior to tackling the Oxford Canal Northwards. An email from a fellow boater in Brinklow mentioned his indecision whether or not to 'brave it' with his family and a further email later in the day confirmed that he had considerably more sense than I! Typically, in such inclement weather, as I approached the Iron exit bridge to join the Oxford, I noticed a very large boat stopped right opposite chatting to a man on the bank who obviously came from another boat moored just outside the marina entrance. Wild hand gesticulating and shouting over the wind warned me of an extremely high bowed motor and butty looming down North to South. With that particular obstacle past, I was waved through and managed to squeeze out and hold a passing conversation with the boat opposite who was interested in the marina before finally making my way on. A brief stop at Rose to pick up a few supplies and coal etc. before the onward trip through occasional showers to Sutton's Stop.

On the approach to Hawkesbury, I managed to pick up half a roll of heavy duty polythene round the prop and no amount of 'chucking it back' would see it freed so battling against wind, passing hire boats, (typical that they appeared just then!) and brambles in the hedge, we managed to pull in, free the blades and continue.

Uneventful towards Marston Junction, (is it just me or does Charity Dock get worse every time I pass it?) for the turn up the Ashby. Final mooring just before bridge 3 opposite the horses and just before the rain started much heavier and the wind blowing stronger. Even managed to get the satellite dish up and tuned in time!

A warm shower, dry clothes, fresh log on the stove, cup of coffee, the generator humming in the distance to power the Christmas lights and the contemplation of dinner and which bottle of ale to open is now on the itinerary.

Tomorrow is weather dependant. We may move up to the end of the Ashby, we may stop on route somewhere we like or we may just stay here - I'll keep you posted.

(BTW, I was going to post a picture but it was all too wet and my hands were too cold so I couldn't be bothered - sorry!)

T-Mobile V Orange!
One interesting thing I shall start doing is comparing the real life network coverage of T-Mobile V Orange in terms of data connections. My T-Mobile contract doesn't expire until May and I currently have a very good package signed up with Orange so am running both systems in tandem. It makes for an interesting comparison! Currently, (brge 3 - Ashby Canal) I get only 3 bars of GPRS with T-Mobile even using an external aerial but 2 bars of 3G with Orange which rises to 4 bars of 3G if I place the phone in the window. I shall post regular updates on this as I travel around so that I can make a real life comparison of the 2 networks more for my own interest but it may be of interest to others!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home