Friday, December 07, 2007

Give me a break!

The calm before the storm! This evening for the first time all week it is dead calm outside - a total mill-pool. Apparently gales and lashing rain is forecast for the whole weekend but right now - nothing! It did give me the chance to smell the gas which has been pouring out from my brand new cylinder all week. With no wind, the smell had not dissipated tonight and, on venturing out just now, I was knocked over by the strong stench of gas around my front locker. Out came the trusty fairy liquid bottle and a torch and on moving the cylinder to get to the pipes, I discovered that the brand new cylinder I purchased last weekend was now completely empty - 20 odd quid of gas in one week - great! It appears that the gas has been pouring out from the union where the nut tightens the olive into the cylinder. I have no idea if it is the seating of the olive, the thread with some dirt in it or the regulator that's knackered but for now I have shut down the gas supply and will investigate further tomorrow in the daylight. Another job to be done in the forecasted lashing down rain - give me a break!!
I am now looking forward to Monday to go back to work for a break already! As well as the obligatory pump-out and diesel trip that I MUST do, (given that my tanks are already overflowing through the charcoal filter and into the marina!) and the purchase of my oil lamp spares, (provided they have arrived at the chandlery,) and the Christmas shopping for my works 'secret Santa' present that needs to be purchased and wrapped before Monday, and the visit to 'Pets at Home' that is necessary in order to get more dog food, and the usual weekly housework that I don't get time for during the week, and the usual estimated 6-7 hours of weekend school work needed to be completed by Monday I now have a gas leak to detect, solve and fix - and all in the most inclement of forecasted weather: I do so look forward to weekends!!!!
By the way, best not to utter the words 'Merry Christmas' to me right now - I can't be held responsible for my actions. Christmas; bah humbug!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home