Sunday, December 30, 2007

My apologies to Orange!

I shall begin this evening with my report on the battle of the networks! This evening, I have discovered that the scores now stand at 2-1 to Orange! I wondered in the past what the little 'E' was in the corner of my mobile handset and often assumed, (wrongly,) that it meant there was no connection, (you nerdy techies out there are laughing at me already aren't you!) This evening, I have discovered that the 'oft appearing' E shows an EDGE signal - kind of faster than GPRS and not quite 3G. Well, this evening I am proud to say I am operating on the EDGE! No, I'm not about to have a severe breakdown but my Orange handset shows 3 - 4 bars of EDGE signal whilst my T-Mobile unit only shows 2 bars of GPRS.
Set off this morning with a high sky although over-cast. Cruised up to the terminus, turned and finally moored just before the reed beds in one of may favourite haunts where owls abound and not much else!
Nothing else to report really. A warmer day, hordes of people thronging the towpath walking, cycling, jogging, fishing, (and only me and the fishermen contributing anything to the upkeep but that's another story!)
It was nice to hear cheery 'hellos' from past friends as well as readers of this blog and it was good to hear the Battlefield steam train plying its trade although more often than not, its presence only indicated by the plumes of smoke rising from the trees!
I was prompted last night by Andrew Denny from Granny Buttons that there are, in fact, plenty of links for the Lime Kilns at Hinckley on Google. He is absolutely right of course and in order to rectify the omiss, I have posted a fairly good one here! What I meant I guess is that the pub themselves don't have their own site for me to promote, however I suppose that featuring them 2 nights in a row will make up for that!
Anyway - enough waffle! Plans for tomorrow? Finish off the plans for today to start with! We didn't get as far back as the Battlefield moorings today so will have a short cruise down tomorrow to our chosen new year mooring and hopefully enough time for a trip in the canoe before dark, this leads me on to the subject of exercise......
.......Last year, in order to loose some weight, I bought an exercise bike. I didn't loose any weight whatsoever until someone told me that you had to use it. At that point I gave it to my father as it took up too much space on board. This year, I am resolved to loose that weight. I have spent hours musing over how to go about this task. I need to do something convenient so more canoeing, cycling or jogging on winter nights and round dark country lanes is out of the question as is any possibility of fitting a treadmill, rowing machine, cycler or home gym on board! I wouldn't have the time or committment to join a gym and cutting down on food or drink is simply not an option.....ummmm, perhaps I have a problem - any ideas?

2 Comments:

At 12:09 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

swimming is quite a good exercise, very low impact and high calory burn but you will have to chose your stretch of canal well. Canoing sounds much warmer.

 
At 12:19 am, Blogger Khayamanzi said...

Thanks for the idea Iain - the good it does for my weight loss will be ofset by the disease I get from the exercise though! Canoeing is all very good and I will try to go more often but a lot of hassle in the evenings, not great on dark nights and not a particularly high calorie burner! I think I'll have to go jogging!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home