Saturday, July 07, 2007

Sometimes you just have to get in!

A good day today! Amazingly the sun was shining and it was a glorious day with only a gentle breeze and I managed to keep my shorts on all day. I have now completed all the mechanical preparation for my holiday. The batteries are topped up, (including the bow thruster one!) the tiller bearing was re-packed and tightened, the stern greaser re-filled, half a mile of someones mooring line unwrapped from the prop and the slack 'play' in the rudder from the tiller control has been (hopefully) eliminated or at least, reduced. As we have sloping pebble banks in the marina, it was a simple case of turning the boat round, donning the wetsuit and getting into the water~! Rather than have a simple welded rudder attachment method, Liverpool boats use a system of 3 bolts. The top and bottom one go right through the shaft and the rudder whilst the middle one clamps the rudder and shaft together by means of a locking nut and then a bolt to be tightened. Amazingly, the locking nut actually undid rather than having been corroded solid onto the shaft. Several times, I needed to tighten, loosen and then re-tighten the nut and bolt and have finally managed to tighten it all up as much as I can but am a bit worried that the bolts that go right through may have now worn out too large and that I may always have a bit of play until she comes out the water next time and I get a drop of weld put on to hold it all in place.

Jobs left now include all the inside ones - tidying, sorting etc etc.

Whilst on here my brother has asked if he can abuse my blog! Permission granted so here goes.

PLEASE HELP!
Have you ever cruised the Leeds and Liverpool in a 60 foot boat - what are your experiences? I know the stories - there is much debate and controversy as to whether this is possible and how easy it is but we now want first hand experiences to help inform some decisions! Even if you haven't, maybe you know someone who has who could email me with their experience. Email me at khayamanzi@ukcanal.org if you can help and I will forward them to big bro!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home