Monday, June 25, 2007

Throttle!

No - don't panic, I'm not just about to end my career by finally giving in to my self-restraint, nor even end my own life, (though both options sound tempting after the day I've had!)

I started my engine tonight to charge the batteries and, after allowing the engine to warm up at idle, edged the throttle forward to bring it up to full charging speed - nothing, zilch, nowt, zero, not a dickie bird - no throttle. Further examination discovered that the throttle cable was happily connected to the single lever control and even hanging on to life at the pump on the engine block but had somehow become 'dearly departed' withing the cable housing!

A hasty phone call to my mate John on NB Briar Rose and he was zooming to my rescue, (having first finished his dinner). We managed to disconnect said offending cable, (having removed 2 shelves, 2 steps, one storage box, 2 floor panels, 2 windlasses, a carpet, 1 wood faschia and an assortment of CD's that had fallen down behind the shelf,) and I now have the cable rolled up waiting to be replaced. I plan a phone call and then hopefully a trip to Rose tomorrow to buy a new cable and John said he would help me replace it tomorrow evening - what a star!

Meanwhile, an ingeniously wound bit of green garden twistee wire enabled me to throttle the engine up to full charging speed and hold it in place by winding the wire round the alternator bracket - working millimetres away from a whirring alternator belt the system worked but I'm not sure how it would hold up to close manoevering work at Fradley junction?!

Watch this space.......

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home