Saturday, June 02, 2007

Home again!

Wow! What a lot has happenedsince my last post. Returned today and my feet haven't touched the ground! The inevitable shopping, washing, un-packing etc. etc. that results from a week away. Happily re-united with Khayamanzi, (still in one piece and in full and excellent working order!) My brother seemed to have a great week on her and has phoned me regularly during the week, knowing how worried I would have been; often his phone calls have re-counted the many people who saw the boat and either started a conversation with him, thinking he was me, or started a conversation with Simba before realising it wasn't Simba, (Yes, that really happened and I'm sorry I missed you F.U.B.B!) I will find out who it was standing on the bridge at Sutton's Stop as made the turn before yelling to him,'well, you did that better than Andy does!' Come on - own up whoever you are, you cheeky whatsit!
So what was the Peak District like? In a word - wet, cold but beatuful, (maths has never been my main subject!) The walking was amazing with walks of average length between 7 and 10 miles every day except one, (on Thursday we did the tourist thing and went down a cave and visited a museum,) Stunning views, wonderful wildlife and some very tricky trails to negotiate all made the experiences great. Thank goodness for GPS and compasses, especially at the top of Kinder Scout, in thick mist and confronted by boot sucking peat bogs! Hail stones one day but the week ended with glorious sunshine for the last walk to 'Three Shire Heads' and the subsequent journey home. We borrowed a great little caravan from some friends and it was nice to return home and have heating and hot water at the end of the day. My tent was comfortable, (I pitched it inside the caravan awning for double protection!) Simba has run his socks off and barely woken up since but I'll leave him to tell you about that on his blog.
Now, I have to return to reality with an inset day on Monday dedicated to report writing and then school starting back properly on Tuesday.
I have posted 2 pictures above from my week away- one of me in the clouds up Kinder Scout and the second of me and Simba enjoying the view!
Darren from C & K Narrowboats came on the Friday before we left to re-position my freezer into its new 'under locker' location and did an excellent job. I now have less 'white' on show in the engine room and more space for storage of such items as the generator and a new little shelf housing the 2 way radios and CD collection etc. Not a great picture but it does show the freezer built flush into it's new home.
Sitting here now, typing this with the combined sounds of a concert at Coombe Abbey - a historic house and gardens just down the road mingled with the merriment of the Coventry Canal Society's annual 'bar-b cruise' which takes place on the straight frontage outside the marina. I was invited to attend the CCS Bar-b-cruise but after the past week and the business of today sorting things out, I really didn't feel like it. I have to say though - they do things well; a huge marquee now strands the towpath with lighting, music and PA all set up. They certainly can't complain of the weather this year!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home