Saturday, May 19, 2007

Summer has officially started!




That's it- I declare that summer is officially here. No more frosts, no more fires, no more rain; I've planted my summer display! My father came up this morning with my plants, along with a load of pond plants for the marina pond. We spent the day planting up the pond so that it now has a good number and range of plants all round the edge. We also planted some Bluebells on the bank behind the pond. My summer theme this year is red geraniums in the middle with mixed sephinias, (I think that's how you spell it!) all round the edge. The pictures show the infant plants ready for the sun to bring them on so long as the wind doesn't get to them first. I also planted 4 tubs for the marina, one on each of the electric sub stations and a tub at each side of the driveway. They don't look much at the moment but will look fantastic once they have bushed over the top and down the side of the tubs and have thick blooms all over them.
I must apologise for the delay in moderating and replyign to the comments. Blogger is supposed to email me whenever there is a comment waiting for moderation but for some reason it has failed to do so recently resulting in my delay. I will check it more often from now on! Having been granted the freedom of safety in receiving my boat safety certificate, I phoned BW to sort it out. Apparently I need to send the 'blue' copy to them with my licence renewal form. I informed them that my licence is paid for by DD and that it is up for renewal during the summer when I will be away cruising down south and asked if it was possible to be sent the renewal form early. After much gaspingand sucking in of air - they agreed, so I now have the renewal form to return in the hopes that I might get the licence before leaving for the summer and therefore being forced to cruise without displaying a valid licence. The trouble now is that I have to phone my insurance company and sort it out with them as the licence renewal form requires the up-to-date insurance policy number and details to cover the next annual period - something I can't do until the insurance runs out - in the summer!! Why oh whydoes life have to be so complicated!? I have now installed the maps for the Peak District onto my PDA to run in Memory Map and now need to transpose the walks for my next weeks hiking holiday from the route cards onto the software. This time next week, I should be up there enjoying, (hopefully,) good weather and a relaxing week of hiking and camping. Khayamanzi will be left in the more than capable hands of big bro! (I have to say that in case he reads this!) I think his plan is to trek up the Ashby so if anyone sees the boat call out 'Hi Steve' instead of 'Hi Andy'! I feel a bit mean as wind has prevented me obtaining a pump out or diesel this weekend sothe tank is somewhat full right now and the first thing he will need to do is stop off and have it pumped out and take on diesel. Obviously as a family, my brother was includd in the many canal holidays we used to go on and it's funny how water runs through the family in one form or another. Me being a slow, lazy and unfit old codger going down the narrowboat route and my brother being amuch fitter adrenaline junky going into sailing. If you see Khayamanzi zig zagging up the canal towards you- don't be alarmed, he's just trying to 'tack' to catch the wind and the large bed sheet hanging out from the pole down the chimneyis not the washing drying - rather an attempt at a spinnaker!! It is good though knowing that the boat won't be left unattended for the week and that someone will be able to keep the batteries charged up full and something of a bonus to know that someone else is getting enjoyment out of her while I'm not using her - who knows, maybe he'll get the bug again - give up sailing and take to the 'high canals'!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home