Friday, June 15, 2007

What a soaker!

Two days ago,I posted an entry titled 'What a scorcher'. Today the heading has to be 'What a soaker'! How can the weather change so much and so quickly? Yesterday evening, I even had to put the central heating on for an hour to take the chill off. This afternoon at school it rained - it hammered down like I haven't seen before. The playground flooded and several classrooms developed leaks. There were 2 fire engines at the local pub pumping out flood water from their cellar and water was forming menacing pools right up to the doors of school. The kids had a whale of a time jumping in it, kicking it and even sitting in it (!) as they left to go home at the end of the day - boys will be boys! At one time, I phoned the office from my classroom to inform them that year 6 were stranded and to request a lifeboat which made my class laugh!

The water levels are high all round and my plants have taken a serious pounding and will take some time and serious sun to pull them up again. I seem to remember reporting the same thing a year ago just after planting the summer display. Not to be content with having to finish off my 35 plus reports this weekend, I decided to bring the mother of all piles of marking home - how much will actually get done will wait to be seen!

I had planned some very finely tuned logistics for my summer trip down south this year. My brother was coming to the marina to leave his car there and crew for the trip down to Reading where my father was to meet us, collect my brother and take him back to the marina to collect his car. My brother would then pick up his car, (having left my fathers car there,) and drop my father back at the boat to crew the rest of the trip whereupon his car would be waiting for him when he returned with me back to the marina!!!! Needless to say, my timings are wrong and the whole plan has now fallen apart! Somehow my brother will now end up at Reading too early to meet anyone who can drop him back and my father will not be able to meet me for another week after that. I think my trip down the K & A might just be relegated to a short pop onto the K & A and little more!

4 Comments:

At 10:37 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Andy,

This is Derek & Sheila Mills - Famous lost button et al ? - Long story but we are in the middle of the Med and still following your blog! such dedication must be worth another piece of cake if we bring the wine!
Current business set up means we would be delighted to help you with logistics for your forthcoming trip if it helps. You have our mobile number and e-mail address so let us know. If you no longer have these please make a mention on your blog and I will call you when we get back to the UK in about 10 days.
By then (keeping our fingers crossed) we will have more news on our boat plans (if you remember we were planning to be creative last time we e-mailed) days of reckoning are upon us during the next 10 to 14 days!!

Kind regards
Derek and Sheila

 
At 6:09 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Andy,

Hope all goes well with the report writing for school. The time out of the classroom preparing, grading, and doing reports can consume a lot of time.

Having enjoyed stories about the K&A this winter when No Problem was traveling the canal I look forward to your posts if your trip proceeds as planned. Good luck.

I have never traveled the Oxford canal, but based on all of the many positive posts about this canal I look forward to a vacation in this area sometime soon.

Best regards,

Mark

 
At 7:21 pm, Blogger Khayamanzi said...

Hi Mark, You must visit the Oxford some time - it really is a lovely canal. As for the reports - all finished now!

 
At 7:26 pm, Blogger Khayamanzi said...

Derek & Sheila, great to hear from you again. There's a lot to be said for sunning yourself in the Med right now - I shouldn't come back just yet,at least; not until the sun starts to shine again!

It would be great to meet up again some time if you're ever in my neck of the woods. Unfortunately I don't think I do have contact details any more, (upgraded phone and all that....)

Many thanks for the offer of logistical help in the summer. I think we're just about there but I might contact you when you're back just to see if there is any way of me being able to use 'Mills Movers' taxi firm!!

Ah the famous lost button! Such sentiment and memories evoked from such an innanimate object!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home