Friday, January 12, 2007

I've survived!

Well, I've survived the first full week of life afloat self sustained! Had a panic this evening as I needed to use my washing machine and half way through the cycle, the inverter gave me an error code E2 which basically means not enough power in the battery bank for the power drain - and that was with the engine running almost full tilt! I immediately thought the worst and suspected a dodgy battery bank before spotting that I had knocked the temperature dial on the machine and the poor inverter was trying to heat the water in the washing machine to 70 degrees! A quick reduction on the dial to a 50 degree wash and sanity, (and power,) was restored. The washing is now drying in front of the fire, the generator is powering my 240volt needs and the main engine is just finishing off topping up the battery bank again.

The wind seems to have subsided and just as well as yesterday, it succeeded in almost snapping my satellite dish off it's ball and socket joint that clamps into the sucker foot. I have now had to clamp the dish onto the TV aerial mast at the front of the cratch to keep it secure but it does still require periodic swinging round as the wind tends to catch it and swing the mast out of line. Tomorrow, Iplan to take the keys back to Trinity Marina and get my deposits back on them.

School was exciting as I now have an interactive whiteboard in my classroom - something I have fought for, for some time. The children have already named it Wallace the Whiteboard.... and these are 11 year olds!

2 Comments:

At 7:38 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

if its so windy.. maybe you could attach a wind turbine to your boat? i have seen them about, but usually not turning as the wind seemed insufficient. This would keep your batteries constantly charged i would think.

 
At 8:02 pm, Blogger Khayamanzi said...

I know you sent a comment saying ignore this one but it is, in fact, a very good idea. For reasons explained I wouldn't want it on the boat but a free standing one would certainly help offset costs in the marina!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home