Thursday, January 11, 2007

Country living!

The joys of living in the country! Boy has it been windy! Forecasts predicted gusts of 70+MPH and I'm sure we've had them. Awake most of the nigth with things banging and crashing and the boat being blown about so much that I could hardly stand when I visited the toilet at 1.30am! I decided to check the satellite dish ont he roof and secured it with several bungie straps - good job too as when I woke this morning, it was dangling precariously over the side of the boat on the end of one of the bungies.

Walked the dog this morning and then left for work and discovered that the gates were still shut and I couldn't get out of the marina. After some knocking and telephoning, I managed to raise Chris who had the key and I managed to get out. Less than half a mile down the lane, I realised why the builders hadn't arrived on site to open the gate - a huge tree had blown across the lane and we couldn't get out and the builders couldn't get in! I phoned Chris so he could bring his chain saw down and we managed to use a hand saw to cut a 'car sized' arch in order to carefully sneak through. Just round the next bend and I met a 44 Ton lorry attempting to get up the lane and make a delivery. I, and the cars I was following, dived into hedges and field gateways to let the lorry through, praying that we wouldn't get stuck. We didn't,and the journey to school was completed in about 40mins - the same time as it took from Hinckley to school via the A5!

Not sure I've mentioned but we are now stuck in for the next 4 weeks! The stop planks have gone down and the marina has to be locked tight to check for leaks before BW will sign the contracts! Hopefully, we will be clear again to cruise by half term and the marina will be given a clean bill of health as regards leaks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home