Wednesday, January 17, 2007

General ramblings!

Well, the forecast for the next 24 hours is, to say the least, grim! With expected winds of anything in the region of 50+ MPH gusts, it’s a worrying time to be on a narrowboat in the middle of a lake in one of the most exposed places in the Warwickshire countryside. Tomorrow evening, we have a staff social at work and whilst I’m planning to attend, the safety of my boat may have to become top priority if things do get rough. This evening before going to bed, I plan to dismantle both satellite and terrestrial TV aerials as well as check and secure logs, flower pots and sacks on the roof.

I have just heard this evening that an old experienced boater from Trinty, who was so well loved, passed away today at 3.30. He had been battling with cancer and had really given up since his wife died a year ago. Only last year, in the summer, he went on his last big cruise – a trip down the Thames and back; no mean feat for a single man at over 70 years of age, battling with cancer and totally alone! He was known to be a wealth of boating knowledge and although many friends from the marina often visited and looked out for him, he was concerned not to be a burden to anyone. It is so sad when real boating legends like this pass away and my thoughts at this time are very much with his friends who he leaves behind.

Charging the batteries back up this evening took around 3 hours due to the dodgy alternator, and the bank had only dropped to 90% and used around 50 amp/hours! I think on Saturday, I will need to do a couple of diesel runs from Rose Narrowboats to top up the tanks. The pump has finally managed to empty out the bridge ‘ole between the stop planks in the marina and so I guess the 28 days of testing period can just about start! Unless we can shorten this time somehow, I’m going to be locked in all over half term and will really be in need of a pump-out. Good job I’ve been carrying a spare toilet round in the boot of my car since Christmas as I think I’ll be needing it!

My Summer plans of visiting the Kennet and Avon may have to be shelved or re-thought. Not only is my father in America for the first 2 weeks of my summer holiday and so hindering what is a very demanding trip by lack of crew but my school has some exciting plans that have been drawn up for developing our entrance/reception area and building me a proper office, enlarging the Head’s office and developing a more prominent and purposeful office for the school admin. Staff. I can see this meaning that I will need to be in a fair bit to help with the sorting out and moving round over the summer so really need to be available.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home