Sunday, March 11, 2007

Weekend away


At last - a lovely weekend out! My father came up Saturday morning as it's his birthday on Monday and we went up to Woodlands Garden Centre up past Trinity. We then took Simba for a long walk around Battlefield at Bosworth and ended up for a coffee and snack at the Cafe Wharfside at Sutton Cheney. On the return home, the sun was warm and although the wind was 'interesting' the call of the open water was just too much. Bill had already gone out on Friday and so we followed his plan and set off down the cut to Hillmorton. Although he ventured through the locks at Hillmorton, we stayed moored up just this side and spent a pleasant evening on board. Sunday morning and Bill phoned to say he was just locking back down the 3 locks - a hint, if ever there was one, that he wanted some crew! We leisurely (!) finished breakfast and walked back up to lock him through the bottom of the locks. He doubled up on us and we settled down to a session of coffee and biscuits being entertained by Bill on his Banjo and Mandolin, (not at the same time of course!). The picture above shows this whilst the new music on my main website, www.khayamanzi.com) is the live recording of this session.
An interesting return back into the marina through the wind and an enjoyable chat and walk whilst the Sunday roast Pork was being cooked!
I have re-organised a couple of links on my main website and added a link called 'General Stuff' I didn't want the links to extend beyond the page, causing the visitor to have to scroll through endless links and so have added this link which leads to my poetry page and my 'sounds of the cut' page. This is because I want to make the 'sounds of the cut' more of a feature and have added a lovely recording this weekend of the bells of the church at Hillmorton and I felt this page was a little lost in its previous location.
A phone call today informed me that my good friends Steve and Julia on NB Even Balance, have plans to move this weekend to Ventnor Farm Marina on the Grand Union. I will be helping them move their car this next weekend. They were potentially interested in moving here to Brinklow Marina but circumstances have dictated that they move a little quicker than originally planned and so have made last minute arrangements with Ventnor.
An interesting phenomena was brought to my attention courtesy of my trusty newsfeed reader, that of Andrew Denny on the very famous blog Granny buttons. It can be read about here.
Andrew has managed a Googlewhack with his site! That is, a results return in Google that returns only one result! Typing the words: 'bodhran gongoozler' into Google currently returns only one true result linking to Andrew Denny's Granny Buttons blog. Of course this phenomena is very time limited as it totally depends on Googles indexing system before it changes, but an interesting phenomena while it lasts!

4 Comments:

At 4:48 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice to see the picture of the two boats parked along the Ashby. It sounds like you all had a great weekend, and I hope the spring weather holds for a little while.

I was reading "Living the Dream" last night, and read about the Lady Elgar's cruise of the Ashby in 1998. Sounds like a very peaceful country canal where you are living.

Thanks for the interesting post.

Best regards,

Mark

 
At 8:20 pm, Blogger Khayamanzi said...

'were' living Mark! I've now moved to the North Oxford at Brinklow. I have to admit that the Ashby is still probably one of the prettyest and most rural canals on the system and one of my firm favourates!

 
At 10:00 pm, Blogger Anji said...

came up to check Harriet tonight and what a peaceful sight - such a difference from last Sunday - what lovely calm water !!! Noticed only four of you plus us - I hope the others are having an enjoyable week away - catch up with you at the weekend.

Anji, Tevor and Harley

 
At 10:10 pm, Blogger Khayamanzi said...

Yes it certainly has been lovely the past few days. Sorry I missed you but I've been keeping an eye on Harriet for you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home