Saturday, February 24, 2007

Aweful weather!

Well, it poured down last night - all night! Every walk with the dog now involves a hose down of all the mud from local paths that has transferred onto the dog! Took the car up to the garage to get the elctrics checked as it seems to be blowing light bulbs - got a clean bill of health except for a bit of moisture.
Being off mains for such a long period has taken a massive toll on my boat electrics and after reporting the alternator failure the other week, I now have to replace all my deep cycle domestic batteries as they seem to have given up the ghost. I don't want gel cells but do think I'll go for the sealed unit AGM type cells. 5 of those at around 100 quid each is not to be laughed at! My battery management system tells me I have 92% remaining and any heavy load throws up an error message on the control panel.
Most of my weekends are spent running the engines to generate the electricity I need for chores such as ironing and hoovering, collecting diesel and re-fueling the diesel tanks to keep the engine going in order to generate the electricity or visiting petrol stations and re-fueling the generator to keep my evenings 240v supply going. Throw into this having to take the weeks rubbish to dispose of, running hosepipes out to re-fill with water, marking and planning school work, and you can see why I sit down and relax less at weekends now than when at work during the week - who said boating was relaxing, they don't show you the real life on Waterworld!
I did manage to pop in today and visit some friends back at Trinity which was nice. Caught up on the latest news and noticed that the swans have started nesting again on the bank outside where my boat used to be moored. This year, they have a nice reed fence to shelter them, (or is it there to protect the online boats!?)

Next weekend, I'm going to have to go and get a pump-out whatever the weather as the toilet guage is beginning to move and I know I only get one week from that point. 45mins up to Rose, 30 mins there, 45 mins back - probably battling a howling gale and driving rain!

2 Comments:

At 9:53 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Andy and Simba,

You didn't say much about the car bill but I guess is was pretty large. Hope this doesn't happen again soon. Although I can feel your anticipation for spring, I hope you don't become too optimistic. Remember last year how late spring was in coming. It seems like there still might be one or two cold spells before those beautiful May days. Good luck with your new phone.

Best wishes,

Mark

 
At 1:20 pm, Blogger Khayamanzi said...

Hi Mark, no; the car bill wasn't too bad this time fortunately!I know what you're saying regarding the onset of Spring - just returned from a walk with Simba where we near drowned in the rain and froze in the wind so I guess there's a little longer to wait yet - still, got to be optimistic at the end of the day! I only have to look back to the blog entries this time last year to see how cold it still was!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home