Monday, April 28, 2008

The pitter patter of tiny feet!

Don't panic - it's not quite what it sounds!
This evening I got home to find 2 little Leopard Gecko eggs nestling in the substrate. I quickly removed them and placed them in a home made incubator which now rests securely in the top of the vivarium but safely out of harms reach by mum. You can just about see them through the plastic container.
I'm not sure they're going to hatch as they are the first batch and apparently the first eggs often don't work well. Apart from that, I think they were knocked about a bit before I got in and found them and rotating the egg is a big 'no no' as the embryo attaches itself to the top of the egg and turning it over can cause it to suffocate inside.
I'll try anyway and see what happens - just have to wait now for the next month or so - that means I might be incubating babies when the boat is having its hull blacked - I hope Rose Narrowboats can provide a mains hookup for the temperature control unit! Apparently Leopard geckos are not good parents which is why I can't just leave them and let nature play its part. Mum looks proud though!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home