Monday, March 24, 2008

Next day - I've lost count!

Well, the forecast said bright and sunny today but it certainly wasn't that! This morning, I set off at around 8.00 ish to head towards Fradley Junction to meet my father. The wind was much less obvious although still gusty, the sky was cloudy and overcast and the frequent squally snow/hail storms stung the face.
Stopped off at Streethay Wharf for a top up of fuel, an extra 2 bags of coal and a new goat chain for mooring up with - £56!

Filled up with water at Fradley and then headed off, (with father on board,) towards the next locks and a dark, threatening sky.
The locks on the first section of the Trent and Mersey proved interesting! Fradley Junction was a breeze - no traffic, no queues - nothing but Alrewas was a different story! Chaos ruled. All thanks to a floating bonfire: an old working boat, (barely floating,) pulling 2 large lumps of plastic festooned with tarpauline sheets and bits of old wood and helmed by two interesting 'gentlemen', one of whom complained at me nosing up to him by saying that my insurance wouldn't cover me if I damaged his plastic boats, (despite them weaving in and out across the canal wacking every boat they past - I think he was joking but couldn't quite work it out!
Onwards past two interesting bridges. The worlds most narrow....
...and this specimen where we were directed to the most narrow part of the whole structure!
After several hours more cruising, (and several too many in my book!) we finally moored up at Branston Water Park having struggled to find depth of water or enough space between boats.
Tomorrow, on through the exciting surrounds of Burton On Trent and hopefully to more exciting waters!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home