Saturday, September 22, 2007

Passed - just!

I've said it before and I'll say it again -it's quite scarey when you realise people actually read the drivel that I write on here!

I have to say that Andrew Denny has posted some excellent and most interesting posts lately on his Granny Buttons site. I also notice from the latest edition of 'The Broker' free in Canals and Rivers magazine that Cabinessence is up for sale. Cabinessence is owned by friends of mine and blog readers and it is sad that they now feel they can't devote the time needed to maintain and use their boat. My best wishes to them and I trust they will still continue to follow my blog.

Just watching the latest news and reeling from the announcement of Blue Tongue now threatening what's left of the farming industry from the latest footand mouth crisis. I'm glad I'm no longer in agriculture but my heart goes out to those struggling to make a living. It's too cosy for most to get their meat from the supermarket and not cast a single thought of the farmers who's livelihood is currently being devastated.

This morning, I noticed a bag of rubbish neatly tied up and thrown into the hedge by the marina. Clearly from a boater who was out looking for a bin and, not finding one, decided the hedge would do. I cleared it up and put it in the bin but pondered long over the mindless stupidity of such an act. Even animals don't mess in their own environment and habitat for fear of being smelt and tracked by predators. I sometimes wonder if we are so far up the food chain that we have lost the sense of cleanliness of our own habitat: perhaps homo-sapians could benefit from a healthy dose of natural predation?

The car passed it's MOT this morning. Took it in for its appointment at 10.30 and walked in to Hinckley to pass the time. Bought a new pair of trousers and shoes for work along with a few magazines to browse and returned at 11.30 to collect the car. "Oh sorry, we're running a bit behind," came the reply. About an hour later I was informed it had failed due to the front headlight being out of alignment. I informed them that this same front headlight they had changed for me a year ago and I hadn't touched it since and they agreed to rectify it and not charge me. Almost four hours later, they passed the car and it only cost me forty pounds! I now need to tax it.....

More boats came into the marina today and the friendly little community is growing - there are now many more people to stop and chat to as I go about my daily business! Any readers of my blog are most welcome to attend the barbecue on Saturday 27th October if around. Simply bring your own food and drink and turn up - it would be great to see you. The barbecue officially starts at 5.00pm.

Tomorrow is Simbas birthday! I would like to take him off somewhere for a good walk/run but the weather doesn't look great and I have a pile of books to mark so we'll see......

My satellite dish now sits on a small square magnetic strip which clamps to the roof beside the chimney. The signal is good and the strength of the magnetic strip will be tested no doubt in future winds over the winter. I also removed the twin horns from on the top plank on the cratch frame and screwed it into the metal on the roof of the cabin tops. This is all in preparation for the measurement for my new cratch canopy this week by the experts from A J Canopies . What's it like and how quick are they? Watch this space.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home