Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Smoke and swans!





Woke up this morning to a pungent smell in the boat! Originally I thought the dog had made a smell so took him for his walk but upon my return the smell was worse! After 20mins. on hands and knees with a torch I traced it back to under the front step where the water pump lives. Upon closer examination, I discovered a whisp of smoke wafting up fromt he back of the pump where the wires go in, even when the pump wasn't running but when switched on. A quick panic and a phone call to work to explain and I had isolated the system, found a neighbour willing to keep an eye on the boat during the day and another neighbour from 2 doors down on NB 'What-ever-next' who builds boats for C & K Narrowboats and was willing to fit a new pump during the day. I returned home this evening to find a brand new Johnson pump fitted and installed and even the front step replaced into it's slot! It's times like this that living in a boating community pays off and my hats off to the people at C & K Narrowboats for their prompt help.
http://www.cknarrowboats.co.uk

I also had a visit from the swans and their cygnets this evening which was lovely. Spent a while feeding them from the side hatch as the picture above shows.

My duck has now been sitting on her eggs for over 4 weeks and I have come to the conclusion they are infertile! She has now started taking the eggs one by one off into the marina water, smashing them open and eating the yoke out of them. She only has 3 left and is still sitting on them.

I have also added a not great picture of my summer flowers on the roof in their infant stage! I have gone this year for a mixed 'gradient' of sefinias with the brightest and boldest in the middle, gradually getting paler until the light lemons either end. I hope the display will uphold my reputation in the summer!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home