Sunday, May 14, 2006

Weekend news.


Just returned from another lovely weekend away. Went out Friday evening and met up on Saturday with Steve, Julia, James, Michael and Jess from NB Even Balance. Had a lovely bar-b-q in the evening before returning back home this afternoon. Met up with Karen and Linda from NB Wi'mopson on Saturday and they were kind enough to show me the beautiful traditional cosy fit out that she has completed on board.

I decided to visit the Battlefield line on Saturday and take a train from Shenton to Shackerston and back - what a complete waste of time and money! Not only did they charge me £9 for the trip, (£7 for me and £2 for the dog!) I was told we could go in any carriage except the buffet car. We settled in one carriage and promptly got thrown out and banished to the far back carriage because I had a dog! Dirty mugs and crushed in food mingled with graffiti on the windows and doors was what we had to contend with, together with being pulled by 'Thomas the flipping tank engine' with dozens of screaming toddlers waving flags and blowing guards whistles. I was told the trip would last an hour - well it did: 15mins. up, 30 mins. hanging around at the top and then 15 mins. back down! Don't bother is my advice to anyone considering the trip!

The return journey saw more boats than the whole of the last year! The Ashby is, without question, getting more and more crowded. I got hit by one boat that was happily cruising up the wrong side of the cut and when he did manage to avoid me, reversed into me as I crept past. I then had to shout at 2 boys who, after much effort and many attempts, had succeeded in hooking a duck on their fishing line, (the mother duck of a brood of ducklings.) Fortunately my yelling at them together with putting the boat hard astern when I saw what they had done frightened them into releasing the terrified creature. On re-telling the story to some other boaters upon my return, they told me that they knew exactly which boys they were as the wife works in their school and would inform the relevant staff at the school. Let's hope this happens and they are frightened enough to never do this again.

Ah well, another week looms! The swans and cygnets appear to have left the marina and my resident duck is sitting happily on her clutch of 5 eggs in my pansies which have now been removed from the boat roof and placed on the pontoon for her safety and comfort. I am continuing to provide a fresh bowl of bread and water each day for her. Not planning on a trip out next week as my father is coming up to visit for the Sunday and the following week I am off on a non-boating holiday for half term, walking and camping with Simba and my dad around Yorkshire. For the first year for many I will, therefore, be unable to attend Crick this year, (the bank manager shouts hooray!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home