Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Cygnets hatch!



OK not earth shattering for many but hey - it was the highlight of my day!! This morning just as I was waking I noticed we now have 6 healthy, fluffy and cute looking little cygnets in the marina. Apparently they have already been for their first swim during the day. I am now waiting for them to venture over for feeding at my side hatch. I still meet a previous years batch of cygnets, (now all growed up!) up the cut and they still come to the side hatch to be hand fed. I have posted a picture but it's not great. It was taking at about 7.00 this morning into the sun with my phone camera on full digital zoom.

I have also posted a picture of my duck! This morning she was well nestled into the flowers and seemed quite defensive of my approach so I had hoped she was beginning to incubate. This evening, she had eaten the bread and drunk the bowl of water and left again, however she did leave 2 eggs covered carefully in the bottom of her nest. I expect she will return tomorrow morning to lay another egg. Apparently the incubation period is 21 days so I will have her for a while, I just hope she doesn't mind coming out for a ride at the weekends with me. Mick and Pam, (NB Tiger M) have 15 eggs in their flower pot and their duck has been sitting on them for the past 14 days, so we are looking forward to their new arrivals in the next week!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home