Friday, November 27, 2009

OFSTED

So I got into school this morning at my normal time of about 7.45. Got my toast and a cup of coffee. My paths crossed with the Head at around 8.00 and the conversation went as follows:

"Good morning - hey I had a dream last night and I never usually knowingly dream!"
"Oh yes, what was that about?"
"Well, I dreamed of school and I never normally do that either!!"
"Go on?"
"It was wierd, I dreamt that Ofsted phoned today and said they were coming in on Tuesday and it was so real, I woke up believing it!"
"Oh don't - we don't want that and anyway, they might not give us that much notice."

The day continued until half way through my maths lesson at around 10.30 when an ashen faced Headteacher beckopned me outside through the glass door.

"I'm not kidding you, I promise," He said, "Ofsted have just phoned - they're coming in on Tuesday and Wednesday next week!"

I was more spooked by my premonition than by the 'O' word!! To say I was shaking for a while was an understatement.

....but it's true - You can imagine the rest of the day, (well, those of you in education certainly can) Total panic as conference calls were had with the lead inspector, Timetables and staff lists collected and emailed through, Staff meetings were held and the Pre Inspection Briefing was scrutinised and copied for all relevant managers. Not to mention, the beginnings of endless lists being written of all that needs to be collected over the weekend.

The weekend is now officially a write off. In school all weekend to panic quietly until found gibbering incoherantly in the corner of the staffroom.

It's a strange sensation; I personally don't care about the outcome, (incidentally, I didn't dream that part unfortunately!) I don't care about the findings or subsequent action plans but I do care passionately about allowing our staff, parents and children to be part of something that is at least 'satisfactory' ideally 'good' or even 'excellent'! The whole staff give more than 100% to this school and their children. Every lesson is delivered with passion and enthusiasm, every child is cared for and nurtured, and the thought of someone who hasn't taught for years potentially condeming it as not good enough is so stressful words cannot explain.

Visit a school just pre an inspection and then support the current politicians and their new and whacky theories of teaching. If there is anything that squashes a creative curriculum - it's Ofsted: Christmas rehearsals, exciting DT lessons, the positive staff/pupil relationships - all out the window until the doom is over, our fate sealed and we can, once agian, begin to pick up the pieces, dust ourselves off and probably 'coast' to the end of term!!

9 Comments:

At 3:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

NO FUN FOR YOU THIS WEEKEND THEN. GOOD LUCK FOR NEXT WEEK.

 
At 11:23 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think there is always room for improvement and if a school is too confident that 'every lesson is delivered with passion and enthusiasm, every child is cared for and nurtured' they may be blind to areas in which they can work on and be embarrassed when they were not humble enough to accept possitive criticism and recognise areas for development.

Go in with the right attitude!

 
At 11:53 pm, Blogger Khayamanzi said...

Thanks for that 'anonymous'!

I'm afraid I'm far too professional to air our dirty laundry in public and on a private blog - a 54 page SEF has done that well enough to the people who need to know!

Trust me - no-one knows our areas for development more than my SMT and the wider staff, however as an effective school we are addressing all areas that we have spent hours and hours identifying, (and at times upset the apple cart en route!)

As I say, a private blog is NOT the place to discuss such issues, however my public, (as opposed to my professional)sentiments still remain - the staff are dedicated and committed, our last report praised and gave us the highest grade for our pastoral support, (therefore proving that every child is cared for and nurtured: and nothing has changed since in this area,) and every lesson is most certainly delivered with passion and enthusiasm. You may or may not be aware that there a million plus more areas to an effective school and the business of teaching than the two areas I highlighted in my post.

 
At 3:56 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

WAY TO GO. I DONT THINK ANYBODY CAN POSSIBLY COMMENT UNLESS THEY HAVE BEEN IN THAT POSITION THEMSELVES. HAVIN BEEN IN THAT POSITION MYSELF, I HAVE NEVER SEEN MY COLLEAGUE WHITE AND UNCONTROLLABLY SHAKE BEFORE. YOUR PASSION AND COMMITMENT IS ENDEARING.

 
At 6:30 pm, Blogger Khayamanzi said...

Thanks for that last comment. I guess I leave myself open to all sorts of comments when posting on here, but I really don't need some of them right now!!

D-Day looms!! Wish me luck.....

 
At 4:42 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I HOPE ALL WENT WELL AT SCHOOL, AND A SIGH OF RELIEF CAN NOW BE TAKEN.

I THINK IF I WAS IN YOUR SITUATION, TONIGHT A VERY LONG AND NEEDED ALCOHOLIC DRINK WOULD BE WAITING IN THE FRIDGE FOR ME, AND THERE WOULDN'T JUST ONE.

 
At 6:50 pm, Blogger Khayamanzi said...

Thanks - yup the sigh of relief has been sighed and we survived!! Thanks for your thoughts.

 
At 7:35 pm, Blogger Les Biggs said...

Please go to bed after looking at the lottery website and blog any numbers you dream of, preferably before the draw.

 
At 9:02 pm, Blogger Khayamanzi said...

LOL Les!!
Others have said similar things. One of my staff said they were going to rub next weeks lottery tickets on me!

Rest assured if I dream any numbers in a lottery context - I won't tell anyone; I don't want to share the big one!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home