Friday, September 04, 2009

Fed up with quangos!

I don't know about anyone else but I am utterly fed up with Government quangos that have no purpose! My brother mentioned the frustrations of a rediculous canal related one in his last post relating to the Ashby Canal.

Here's my contribution relating to an educational one - The General Teaching Council, (no link given as they don't deserve it!) Huge amounts of money have just been spent setting up a Code of Conduct for teachers; a sort of playground charter for the people who manage the playground. I have just emailed them to ask them to clraify their status and the following extract sums up my frustrations.

I have scoured their website and contributed to the consultation of the 'code', (all of my comments were completely ignored incidentally,) and I am still totally at a loss as to what exactly the GTC does to enhance the professionalism of teaching. It would now seem quite evident that the GTC is yet another pointless Labour government initiated quango set up to further undermine the professionalism of the status of teaching in any way possible with little, if any, positive benefit to teachers or educators. Furthermore, subscription towards our own demise as a profession is forcibly taken from our salaries and registration is compulsory. I would suggest that the implementation of the new ‘code’ actually has implications that could soon be tested through the human rights courts and certainly leaves the readers and enforcers open to the widest interpretations that will inevitably lead to enforcement abuse.

I understand that the GTC has to fight to confirm the validity of its existence, indeed in this current economic climate the creation of any employment is an admirable notion however, having given the GTC evaluative time since its conception, it would now be quite apparent that its existence and worth is, at best totally pointless and at worst highly corrosive and detrimental to the last vestiges of teaching as a noble ‘profession’.

The biggest mistake the GTC do is to stamp 'GTC' across all the mail they send out to teachers - it gets put straight in the bin without even being opened - including my membership card! When they were set up, there was such an outcry amongst teachers that we all refused to pay our subscriptions - they now have a law that simply extracts the money from our salaries and there is nothing we can do about it!

I know there is a medical equivalent and has been for some time - perhaps someone from the medical profession could tell me how it is perceived for them. I guess I would have doubts as to the validity of that one too but that's not my field so I can't comment; all I know is that the GTC does nothing positive for my profession whatsoever!

RANT OVER!!

2 Comments:

At 5:06 pm, Anonymous Steve said...

and that's why I work in the private sector!

Hang on - when I looked for new business start up help, I found the relevant Quango had studied:
Smart Id Cards
Special Children
Chernobyl the true scale
US Military newsletters

No use to me as a start up!!!

 
At 7:41 pm, Blogger Khayamanzi said...

An interesting mix and all pretty useless to most people!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home