Saturday, March 07, 2009

How often does that happen?

A garage bill less than the original quote? That's unheard of surely?? The original quote for replacing a gearbox mounting was £109 for the whole job. This morning, I dropped the car down to Fosseway Vehicle Serives and an hour later the whole job was done at a total cost of £68 - WOW!

Picture the scene if you will - Friday morning, minus 3 degrees outside according to the outdoor thermometer by my bed, 6.00am and the alarm goes off as usual. That's funny, I think in my half woken state, no humming sound from the central heating - it hasn't come on! I leap out of bed and find the timer flashing as if there's been a power cut during the night. I press the manual over-ride to get it on quick and the whole thing resets itself and stubbornly refuses to fire up. Less than happy, I have a cold wash, get dressed in a very cold boat and head off to work moaning about the morning! John went to take a look while I was at work but could only go so far due the amount of vital clutter in the way! This morning, I pulled everything out for John to look properly and he quickly discovered a burnt out fuse holder and dodgy fuse that simply wouldn't cope with the required start-up power needed. He's so clever! I so admire people who can follow a problem and find a solution, ( I have to say that - he hasn't put the bill in yet!) Here is the offending item and the heating now works a treat. I was fearing the worst with the heating so it was good to have 2 bits of money saving news in one day. I celebrated by visiting the railway shop and spending the money I saved!!

More buildings to post to my father who has now become 'Head of building construction'! There is no doubt that the Metcalfe Models look stunning but I simply don't have the patience for them. My father, on the other hand, really quite enjoys them so it seems a perfect partnership! I now have the pub, the church, an engine shed and some cottages for him to make over the next few months or so! The layout is in need of a few buildings now. I spent some time this afternoon 'flocking' the fields and banks and sorting some bits out as well as painting the base board a lovely brown colour ready for things to happen on top!

A few pictures of the layout thus far! First the Pullman coaches with little table lights that light up as the City of Sheffield pulls them round the village.

In their sidings at the end of the day.

A general over view of the layout so far. Notice the large amount of, (still wet,) brown paint on the base board simply as a base colour so that chip board doesn't show through any subsequent scenics.
Sheffield passes through the fields....
...another general scene. The lower level is waiting to become the colliery with pit head, loading stage and wharfside canal and lock scene!







4 Comments:

At 7:55 pm, Blogger D Baynham said...

Great news about the saving of a few quid. The railway is looking amazing, Dads are great aren't they!!!

 
At 9:35 pm, Blogger Khayamanzi said...

Hi there and thanks. Unfortunately saving a few quid happens too rarely for me and yes - dad's a good egg!

 
At 3:23 pm, Blogger Dogsontour by Greygal said...

Andy, this is looking great - can't wait to come up and have a play! Looking forward to the canal scenes, keep up the good work!

 
At 7:26 pm, Blogger Khayamanzi said...

You are most welcome any time! Thanks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home