Friday, November 28, 2008

Gas, gas, gas!

What is an acceptible level of CO2 to be present? This evening, whilst eating dinner, I was aware of my CO2 alarm in my back cabin warning me of carbon Monoxide gas present. I rushed to the alarm with a digital readout in my saloon and found it was reading 68. After throwing open all the windows and doors, the level dropped but after a while crept back up again to around 30. I have now opened the windows and the level has dropped and remained on 0 for some time. My rope packing round the firebox has started to deteriorate - could that be it? I have a very small crack appeared on the chimney flange that connects the flue to the top of the stove - could that be it? Many boats around me have stoves going and had stoked them up as they arrived back home, the wind was blowing in an unusual direction - could that be it? Which is more likely?? I have a pathogenic fear of CO2. Healthy I guess, but mine borders on neuroticism. If any on eof my alarms so much as twitches again this evening, the stove is going out and I'd rather freeze for the night 'till I can sort it out tomorrow. I will try and get some more rope packing and re-do that tomorrow anyway and put some fire cement over the crack just in case.
Well, the shows have finished at last. The first night was outstanding, (pictures and a song can be accessed by clicking here,) but the second night was much worse! Due to all our lighting engineers being off sick as well as several dancers and members of the choir, the evening was somewhat flat! Now our attention is turned to the shole school musical extravaganza being prepared for Christmas.
Apart from planning and marking, I hope to have a slightly more relaxing weekend and begin some Christmas shopping!
I leave you with the latest of Clarence. Looking stunning and almost ready for habitation!





2 Comments:

At 10:20 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Andy, we had a CO2 alarm go off last year; What I couldnt understand was it was June. there was NOTHING on.I even bought a new alarm, and on switching on it started bleeping immediately. Got a gas man out in case it was that, Turned out to be that one of the batteries was duff and when on charge was fizzing up . We have a trad back, and the battery area is under the back of the kitchen floor. Looking in my CO2 alarm book it lists your level of 252 as significantly high, and needs sorting. It is likely to be your seal round the glass, or chimney problem rather than other peoples smoke fires outside. Suggest you let it out tonight ( sorry) and then see if that stops it bleeping. if so, thats the answer.
Regards, Rose D Tamworth

 
At 10:51 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

do you mean co2 or co one being dioxide and one being monoxide both can be deadly in concentration.Good luck with finding the cause.Being watery of deadly gasses deadly gases is sensible not silly.My fear is heights and i think that is an eminently sensible thing to be afraid of.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home