Saturday, November 01, 2008

The day of reckoning has arrived!

So just what the heck is going on??
The topic of conversation for the past week has been the loss of derogation on our red diesel. 1st November was the magic day when strange things were going to happen. Well today is 1st November and it seems as if there is no idea whatsoever as to exactly what is supposed to be happening! I have spoken to every marina and diesel merchant I have met on my trip and have now heard of 5 TOTALLY different systems that are going to be operated. Search the internet - try and find a definitive document telling us what is happening and you simply can't! The most authoritative system I have seen seems to be so complicated and completely diddles the boater. I am an honest person. I will declare anything necessary and be completely honest about it but it seems I am being forced to lie by the 'systems' that are imposed on us. Whilst berthed my boat is going nowhere, my engine isn't being run, my propellor isn't turning - 100% of my diesel purchased is for heating the boat or hot water system but it seems as if I'm not allowed by the 'system' to declare this without council tax bills as evidence, (apparently my brick house one doesn't count!)



So what do they do in other European countries? They bend the rules to suit their system! You see Europe says 'jump' and whilst other countries are saying, 'yeah OK - I might jump at some point if it suits me but then again, if it doesn't; I'll run or walk or maybe even skip!' England says, 'OK - how high? How long do you want us to stay in the air? What surface shall I take off from and how much paperwork do you want me to keep to record the jump?'!! I predict and am willing to wager that within a year the system as present, (whatever that is,) will change to something more simple - it will have to if it's ever to become clear, manageable, useful, compliant, consistent or policable!

I ask - where are all the waterway user groups here? They seem to be conspicuous by their absence. Are they just as confused as the rest of us? I am currently not a member of the IWA or any other user group as I was evaluating which one/s to join. I had decided on the IWA but am now very disappointed that none of them seem to be kicking up an effective noise on this one. This could and hsould be a major focus perhaps of SOW but they too are silent, preferring to be a one trick pony.

Now, if I have any readers left, (and just remember this blog is primarilly designed for me to rant and document - others are welcome to eavesdrop!) on to more mundane but more exciting matters - my new sofa!

Here it is in all its glory....

Simba seems to be quite at home!

...although he is banned from it except by kind, (and rare,) invitation! Seems to work - I like it. It's not the same as my brothers as I didn't get the sofa-bed version but opted for one with separate removable cushions. This evening I shall try it our properly and report on it next time!

6 Comments:

At 8:23 am, Blogger Bruce in Sanity said...

It should be straight forward: you sign a bit of paper saying "Of the diesel I've just bought, I'm going to use x litres for propulsion". The yard then adds another line to your bill, charging you x times the extra duty.

But it seems this is too hard for some yards. If they insist on the 60/40 split, you can always claim the overpayment from HMRC, I guess.

Cheers

Bruce

 
At 12:12 pm, Blogger Khayamanzi said...

I think that part is simple. I guess the complicated part is when the marinas come to completing their tax returns! It also gets complicated when you start looking at the detail as to what evidence is required to justify a residential boat and therefore be authorised to claim a lower rate of propulsion - this aspect is simply not clear!

 
At 2:03 pm, Blogger Bruce in Sanity said...

Have you seen the HMRC brief which sets out the official position?

 
At 2:43 pm, Blogger Khayamanzi said...

That's a very helpful document - thanks Bruce. I am still concerned that many boat yards will not allow a self declaration less than 60% propulsion because to do so might admit having residential boats and as most 'residential' boats are unnoficial.....

I know of at least 3 now where this is the case and the 60/40 split is the minimum they will allow, whether it's convenience or reluctance to admit residancy is anyones guess but I still think anyone wishing to declare less for propulsion is going to have to search hard to find places willing to accept it very soon.

 
At 12:23 pm, Blogger MortimerBones said...

nice sofa!

 
At 8:49 pm, Blogger Khayamanzi said...

Cheers!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home