Friday, July 25, 2008

Making up for it!

OK, thanks to my new Bluetooth dongle and a short phone call to Orange to get the jolly thing configured, I now have a good internet connection and this evening have even managed to secure several bars of 3G! I have made up for the lack of postings recently with a number of pictures! Firstly, last nights mooring on the Thames - a very pleasant spot just before Beale Park.
Back off the Thames and back to the familiarity of muddy ditches! The very exciting turn into the Kennet and Avon!
...and then on to the interesting channel through the Oracle shopping centre.
Having been advised via email from a friend that there was trouble at County Lock, this morning I phoned to check. No problem I was told, assisted passage between 10.00am and 4.00pm. Arriving at Blakes Lock and I was handed a large white laminated sheet telling me to phone a given number before proceeding upstream. I phoned the number and it was not a valid phone number! I phoned BW who connected me to the South West office. The South West office kept ringing and ringing and no-one answered. I phoned BW customer serices again who apologised and put me onto the Gloucester Office who cover the K & A. This number also kept ringing and ringing and no-one answered. I phoned BW again who put me onto another customer service agent who told me to ignore the letter and head for the lock! I did so and found this....
3 boats downstream had been waiting an hour but I arrived at the right time and only had about a 30min. wait. Passing through the lock and I came across Rivendell, (is this the right one Don!?)
Mats and Sanne were on the boat and it was a very quick 'grab shot' as I passed under the bridge and we shouted our hellos. Mats and Sanne run the first, (as I'm aware anyway,) bi-lingual waterway blog - English and Swedish. I also have regular contact with Don who is also one of the owners as well as the enviable double lifestyle of a cartographer on Bute as well as a boater!
K&A locks are nothing if but interesting! Every single one has its own characteristic such as these intriguing turf sided locks.
This evenings mooring - a pleasant little spot immediately below the waiting area for a swing bridge. Tomorrow - on through Aldermaston, (a quick visit to my names sake Andy Edwards to say thanks for the work he did on Khayamanzi 4 years ago after the fire,) and then out into hopefully more rural and pleasant countryside.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home