Monday, July 14, 2008

Leakless!

A really rather pleasant cruise down to Rose yesterday and I even managed to get moored up and a decent satellite signal in time for Midsomer Murders!

True to their word, first thing this morning I was pulled out, (and I can now confirm it is the smoothest and gentlest 'pull-out' I have ever seen - I was standing on the back of the boat the whole time and hardly even felt myself going up!) and the engineer set to work. It was very easy to see the hole as water was piddling out from it long after the drips had stopped. You can see in the picture below a large lump of 'slag' from the original welding that has simply rusted through.

It's up behind that lump that the hole is to be found lurking!

3 excellent layers of weld later and the job was done and the new blacking was drying. They even took the time to weld a collar round the tiller bearing as an experiment to see if it would stop, or at least stem the flow of water that has always leaked over onto the deck and squirted onto my leg! Obviously when throttling heavily a little spurt still came over but other than that there was nothing for the entire journey back so that looks like it could be a problem solved - we'll wait and see long term on this one but it was very much an experiment and looks positive so far. By mid-day, I was back home and on my way back into work. Hats off to the Rose team for an excellent job, completed quickly with friendly, fun and helpful staff and at a superb price - thanks to them, my summer holiday is now back on track!!

I also took the opportunity to photograph my PropProtector just for interest.

This evening, I was back at work for an evening 'French night' with cheese and wine and presentations from our recent French trip with the children. A great event and the last evening event this academic year. Now it's just the count-down until Friday when I break up and hopefully leave for my hols. on Saturday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home