Thursday, July 24, 2008

Deja vous!

A roller coaster sort of day today! Set off from Osney Lock at around 9.00 this morning. I have realised why it was so difficult getting consistent advice as regards locking single handed on the Thames - there is no consistent practice! Every lock keeper has their own way. Some allow me to hold it on a center line, others hold the bow line for me whilst the majorit sit back and do nothing whilst I simple go through the motions of 'draping' the bow line round a bollard and then holding it on the stern line from the helm. The bow thrusters have been useful in nudging the boat back to the wall when I find it drifting worryingly closer to a plastic palace.
Then I passed 'the place'!! Here it is....
A very unassuming field but I can assure you that in August 2004 - this field was most interesting! It was right here that the first whisps of smoke started appearing from the engine deck boads and Khayamanzi was unceremoniously dumped into the bank of that very field whilst the EA and fire brigade staf cam planing up the water to tow me over to Goring sailing club.
The rest, as they say, is history and I very much hope it will stay that way!!
Other interesting points today? Well I passed the proposed site of the junction with the Thames for the Wilts & Berks Canal.
Perhaps one day I'll be back down to cruise this canal - who knows?
I leave you with a general picture of my view for much of the day...
Right now, I'm breasted up on the free 24hr moorings just below Goring lock waiting for my father to arrive. The plan is then to move on to somewhere a little more pleasant for a barbecue!



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home