Thursday, July 26, 2007

Back home!



Cruised up from Hillmorton today and stopped off at Rugby for shopping. Now moored up outside Brinklow marina! If the sun isn't shining tomorrow - I'm going in and terminating the holiday!! The plan is to head up to Tixell for a day or two and then meet my father at Stone. We are then deciding whether to head up and attempt the Anderton Boat Lift if the floods and rain allow the Weaver to be open by then or possibly head for the Rochdale canal via the Bridgewater and Ashton - not sure yet, all I do know is that it is most depressing to be back outside my marina when I ought to be down at Oxford heading towards the Thames by now....

I have posted a picture today, (above,) of the most common sight on a British canal in summer, (or certainly this year,) rain pouring down the window! We moored up having drowned in the most deluge of a rainstorm I have seen since the last one, last week!!
Finally,a couple of pictures below of 2 narrowboats moored up on the Thames. My father went to see what it was like this evening and took these pictures using his phone camera. It is clear to see the speed and height of the water outside Hampton Court!
Anyway, must go - I'm off to light the bar-b-q, pour another chilled beer and sit in the sun to read my book!!

2 Comments:

At 8:33 pm, Blogger Maureen Davies said...

Hi Andy
As we have a Liverpool boat are interested to find out about the tiller bearing. Any thing you can tell me I would be grateful our boat is coming out of the water for blacking in October
Maureen

 
At 10:03 pm, Blogger Khayamanzi said...

Hi there. I have 2 problems with it! The first is the leak from around the collar on the back deck at the bottom of the swan neck. This was solved by tightening up the 2 grub screws very tightly that hold the bearing collar onto the shaft. The second problem was too much play in the tiller before getting any response from the rudder. The only soluttion so far has been to get into the water and tighten the bolts us. Apparently for some reason, Liverpool boats use a system of 3 bolts to secure the rudder onto the shaft. The topand bottom bolt simply go straight through and the middle one can be tightened by undoing a locking nut and then tightening the bolt before re-locking the locking nut. Most other boat builders simply weld the top of the rudder onto the shaft and when Khayamanzi is next out of the water,I plan to get them to but a little weld run round the top to keep it in place. My advice would be to do the same. Email me if you want more details or to discuss anything else.
Regards
Andy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home