Sunday, April 01, 2007

Holiday!

Finally broke up from school on Friday and now look ahead to 2 weeks of freedom and relaxation. In school almost all of the day yesterday as I was hosting the Save Our Waterways meeting and took the opportunity to plan for next term and get my marking up to date etc. Today I spent the morning doing jobs around the boat. Cut down the dead daffodils on the roof to allow the primulas to show their true glory, washed and polished the boat and the windows so it now shines and repaired my horn that wasn't working! I have a set of 12volt twin tuned horns on the roof and the cable I used to extend the reach to their location was too thin resulting in a simple 'click' rather than the loud tuned blast I wanted. I replaced the cable for thicker core, (and re-routed it away from the gas pipe in readiness for my BSC in a months time!) and they sound fantastic!

Moored up this evening as the sun was setting, I decided to take Simba for a little stroll along the towpath and back. As we passed a green boat, (Josher bow, Satellite dish on a long pole, name witheld!) Simba mooched over along side the boat and I noticed an irrate woman in the galley shouting at him and banging the window. I realised she was trying to get him away from the boat. As I walked along side, I apologised and said I was very sorry if he was causing a nuisance. She barked at me that she didn't want 'im peeing up me ropes! Strange as he hadn't even got to their mooring lines when she started to get irate? I tried to explain this at which point her husband appeared at the front cratch and politely informed me that he had 'heard it all before'. I sarcastically wished him a good day and reminded him that the sun was shining and that spring was on the way and continued on my way with his parting shot yelled after me that there was no need to get abusive!!!!???? What strange people who decide to take to the waterways - most bizarre and so sad that they are so highly strung even when on the canals. I had to chuckle as on returning to my boat a local farming family walked past with no fewer than 6 lively cocker spaniels runnign around. I couldn't help but watch as they passed Ms. angry's boat! A witness to the whole event did question with me what she did to the foxes that prowled around at night? I have visions of her sitting up all night on a stool with a powerful torch to ensure they didn't get too near!

My 'roses' transfers arrived today for my side and rear doors and am looking forward this coming week to sanding down and re-varnishing the doors and applying the transfers - they look very good and should make a huge difference to the over-all look of the boat. Tomorrow, I head off to the Ashby for the week. My plan is to stop at Rose for a pumpout, diesel and water and then head off to the Battlefield on the Ashby to do these jobs for the week before meeting my father and heading off towards Tixell Wide for the Easter week.

And for those interested, my father is on TV on BBC1 this Tuesday 3rd April at 11.15pm in a historical programme called Amazing Grace - the true story. The show is presented by Rick Wakeman and filming it interrupted my last half terms cruise! (See Thursday 15th February blogs entry for pictures and details.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home