Sunday, April 08, 2007

Easter holiday - Day seven









The enemy has surrounded us!
Woke up this morning to find ourselves surrounded! About 20 or so of the local angling community had taken up silent residence around us, in fact - the guy in front was using my mooring chains as a fishing pole rest! To be fair, they were silent arriving and all very pleasant as we crept our way off the mooring and past them: with every single one saying good morning instead of the usual mono-syllabic grunt more accustomed to fishermen! The final 2 locks in the Atherstone flight were completed with no fuss or wait and as I exited the bottom lock, my engine burst into a loud rattling vibration. We pulled into the water point to take on much needed water as I opened the engine hatch to discover the air filter frying pan thingy had dropped off due to the restraining jubilee clip having lost its thread. A frantic rummage through my toolbox revealed every size except for the one I needed and so I resigned myself to ringing RCR to see if they could advise - they did, 'take it off completely mate and get yourself to the nearest marina,' Thanks RCR!! It was at that point that a neighbouring residential boater appeared with a selection of jubilee clips and asked if any of them were any good. He had 2 of the right size and gave us both so that we had one as a spare. We made it worth his while and continued on our merry way.
Passing through Tamworth and I was just emerging from getting a drink when I spotted a frantically waving boat approaching us clicking away on a camera. By the time I realised it was the well respected Andrew Denny from the equally well respected Granny Buttons blog aboard his boat, 'Granny Buttons', I just about had time for a last minute yell 'hi' and took a very hurried grab shot, (as posted above,) before we sailed past and off. I did feel bad and wished that I had stopped for more of a chat but we were both equally excited to pass each other in the 'flesh' and hopefully we'll meet again some time and have the chance for more of a 'social'.
The approach to Glascote locks revealed a queue of 3 or 4 boats which included 2 hire boats, one of which was moored on the lock waiting area having lunch - no, not moored having lunch whilst waiting for the lock, simply moored to have lunch! Almost an hour and a half later, (anyone knowing Glascote locks will understand the extreme 'slowness' in the final foot or so of fill,) and we emerged to continue to Hopwas where we are now moored for the night. Dad thinks that Hopwas sounds as though it should be part of a film set for Harry Potter and I have to say, with the number of people around this evening, they would be fine for extras!
As today was my birthday as well as Easter day, we enjoyed a full chicken roast for the evening meal including stuffing, mange-toute, (little posh pea things,) parsnips etc. Birthday presents included a carbon monoxide detector and the manual for the boat safety certificate which I need to arrange as soon as I return to 'home waters'!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home