Saturday, September 02, 2006

Wow!

What a day! An absolute howling gale going on outside, I've had the central heating on and I'm being banged about from pillar to post! My brother came up this morning and brought a load of chairs for my school along with a boot full of logs which are really appreciated!

If anyone is thinking about getting a satellite dish for their boat - don't bother! The biggest waste of time, effort and money I have EVER known in my entire life. I can only ever get the signal quality bar about 25% high and rarely enough to get any reliable signal. If I do manage to spend hours tapping it gently one way or the other and finally manage to get any signal at all, you can guarantee it's only for about 15 minutes before it breaks up or disappears totally! You have been warned! In the marina I have completely clear line of site to the satellite and if that's the best I can get here, there is no hope for anywhere out on the cut. Spoke to a guy down the marina with the same setup as me, 'Oh it's great' he informed me, 'I can't get BBC1, BBC2 or ITV but apart from that it's fantastic! Is it just me????

4 Comments:

At 1:15 pm, Blogger Chas and Ann said...

Hi Andy, Please dont give up on satelite. Ours works well. Do make sure the dish is pointing in the correct direction, just east of south (160 degrees). The dish should be about vertical while the reciever is pointing slightly up at the dish. Your picture on blog makes me think the reciever is not quite square with the dish. While pointing up it should be pointing at the centre of the dish. Hope this helps.
Regards from Chas on Moore 2 Life

 
At 11:37 pm, Blogger Sue said...

Andy, You have a problem with that satellite dish for sure. For us they are the best thing since sliced bread, you defo have something not working properly.

Go back to the suppliers and tell them what is happening.. it must be the dish surely. Can you borrow a dish from someone to stick on your roof to try it out?

It really does work, promise.. I have never known anyone not be totally over the moon with them.

Keep trying.. Regards Sue

 
At 6:10 pm, Blogger Khayamanzi said...

Thanks all for the comments, actually I have a fairly good signal now int he marina but just don't dare move the boat! I'm dreading going off out as I know it will probably take me hours to get it set up again. I agree, when set up, I get a good signal and excellent variety of channels but it isn't half fussy with the angles, directions etc etc....

 
At 8:34 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Andy

When we were moored at Trinity we had the same problem on the same pontoon as you. The man who sold us the dish, an Arcon Sweetie, came and spent hours trying to tune it in but it didn't work. We know that other people have pefectly good pictures elsewehere, so it might be a problem with the location of the marina/pontoon.

Andrew & Louise
nb Faustroll

 

Post a Comment

<< Home