Sunday, January 04, 2009

Project 2009!

This year I have made a health related new years resolution - I'm going to sell every bit of health related equipment I own to fund what I have affectionately called 'Project 2009'. Project 2009 is a new and exciting development and bloggers here will be able to follow every step along the way. OK, enough hype - just what is Project 2009?



Many years ago in a previous life, before moving aboard Khayamanzi, I used to escape to a little village in my garage. Here it is....


It consisted of schools, churches, pubs, housing estates, shops, parks, street lights, lights in the houses and the most important part - an OO guage GWR 1930's based railway layout. Here is part of it from above...


When I moved away from terra firma and entered the restricted world of narrowboat dwelling, my pride and joy had to go and was dismantled and sold/given to local enthusiasts. Boy have I missed it!?


Enter Project 2009!


I have very kindly been given the use of this...


Now I know it doesn't look much: in fact it was destined to be scrapped before being given a reprieve! The door needs replacing, the roof needs some attention to ensure it is 100% waterproof and the electrics need testing but I hope it will gradually morph into 'The Railway Shed'! Brinklow may yet boast its very own model railway enthusiasts hideaway and in my experience most boaters also have passions in motorbikes, vintage/traction/stationary engines or steam trains!


Actually, there is a surprising amount of space inside..


Once tidied up and cleared out, plans are already under way for the base board which will include a viaduct/tunnel combi. as well as sidings/goods yards and a mainline for the express train to trundle round.


This is planned to be a long term project which will start in 2009 and complete when I die or sooner if barriers are encountered! Stage 1 begins February half term, (traditionally I don't go boating that half term anyway,) and includes clearing out the cabin, suring up the roof, testing electrics, cleaning it all, carpeting it, installing the base board and setting up the basic track in order to run a simple goods train and some rolling stock - watch this space but if there are any enthusiasts who read this and wish to donate/sell anything - do get in touch!!

7 Comments:

At 9:55 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is this the shed Clarence is currently using?

 
At 12:37 pm, Blogger Khayamanzi said...

Hi there,
yes it is - why do you ask?

 
At 12:45 pm, Blogger Khayamanzi said...

....and how do you know? You've got me going now!!

 
At 12:54 pm, Blogger Nev Wells said...

Andy,

Got me hankering after my N gauge stuff in the loft. I would encourage you to look at modeling in N gauge as you will get a great layout in that space and leave enough space for a work area for building and fettling etc. (Plus I could bring my rolling stock over for a run !!)

It's an excellent project and I look forward to tracking its development, good luck, but don't sell the bike... summer will be here soon,

Nev

 
At 8:13 pm, Blogger Khayamanzi said...

Hi Nev, it's amazing how many closet model railway nuts have 'come out' so to speak! I've had no end of emails and support. Thanks for yours. I'm afraid I am a total 'OO' though! The very thought of fiddly 'N' fills me with fear. I have worked out quite a mean layout in the space which is planned to include pull out work surfaces into the center control area. My next big question is digital or analogue control!?

Sorry but I think the bike might already be gone - lots of interest and someone coming to see it tomorrow!

 
At 2:30 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Soory about the delay in answering your question but I have been away for a couple of days.
I met him in Midland Chandlers and we got chatting.

 
At 5:28 pm, Blogger Khayamanzi said...

Ah that explains it! I was just worried I was being watched!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home