Sunday, October 07, 2007

A bizarre day!

Today started as a strange day and got stranger as it went on! It was one of those days I have been torn limb from limb in about 12 different directions and have now switched off the phone, battoned down the hatches and am determined to finish at least one job without being pulled somewhere else, and the job in question is the most important of all - that of dinner cooking!!

I woke up, made a cup of coffee, switched on the iron and got half way through my ironing when the phone went for the first time. The school intruder alarm had triggered a fault and the monitoring station couldn't get hold of the head. I switched everything off, left my coffee to get cold and headed into school. Half way there, the phone rang again to tell me it had been upgraded to an intruder activation. I finally arrived at school after another 3 phone calls from different people on the way - none of whom I could help and checked the premises - no intruder, just a faulty alarm. I phoned the alarm engineer and then did another premises inspection whilst I waited only to find water pouring through a ceiling! Closer inspectionr evealed that the cleaner had left a tap running since Friday and it had flooded 2 cupboards, the corridor, year 3 cloakroom and boys toilets. The engineer arrived and informed us that the flood water was totally unrelated to the alarm - good job it went off then! I managed to get hold of the head and as we were sitting in the office making frantic phone calls there was a loud bang. We went to investigate and found that a glass internal door and simply exploded. No one was in the school, no window was opened, the flood wasn't anywhere near it - it just decided to explode and decided that then was a good time to do it!! More work to be done in cleaning it all up.

Eventually I managed to get home and finished the ironing and cleaning the boat, (a job I had been putting off for weeks and spent time elsewhere which resulted in the boat getting extremely dirty!) Most of the rest of the day was spent washing all the bed linen, towels, mats etc etc and then re-filling the water tank. Half way through filling the water tank and a car arrived with a smiling child waving enthusiastically at me. As it pulled up, I noticed it was one of the children from my year group at school. we set them on a canal project and they decided to visitmy marina, (without knowing I was there,) to photograph 'roses and castles' decoration for the project. I could only oblige with the roses and hinted on getting an extra few marks for the inclusion of photographs of Mr Edwards' boat and then phoned John who could oblige with the castles and even gave them a 'roses and castles' oil painting that he no longer wated.

Another boater in the marina volunteered some help to plant a few dafodills and although by that time, it was gone 5.00pm I felt I couldn't turn down a genuine offer of kind help so we wnet and planted a few before I returned and am now waiting for the meat to cook so that I can STOP!!!

I can't wait for work tomorrow- I need a rest!

2 Comments:

At 12:21 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting your door "blowing up". We had a second floor glass section of 20foot high by 8foot wide, just "blow up".
Showered glass everywhere.
Apparantly it was the difference of temperature inside the double glazing.

 
At 7:33 pm, Blogger Khayamanzi said...

Ouch!I guess that would have been more impressive. The trouble is, none of our glass was double glazed!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home