Saturday, April 01, 2006

Weekend

Well, I'm sitting here with the sun streaming through the window and for the first time today the wind has dropped. I managed to get home earlier on Friday night so that I could pump out my toilet tank and take on diesel - jolly good job I did too as the wind has forbidden all but the bravest or most fool hardy in moving today. Many people wouldn't realise how much wind a large expanse of open water can generate and an open marina is the worst expanse of open water you can find. I also worked late into the evening last night to get all the washing done, take on water, hoover, re-stock with coal and re-set/clean out the fire, partly due to the fact that my father and a friend from Germany was popping in today. It was good to see them both for a short while today and the wind and rain even held off just long enough for a short walk up to Atherstone to see the locks and show our German friend how they work. This time next week I should be poised at the top of the Atherstone flight waiting for the long haul locking through the 11 beasts on Sunday on my way towards Tixell and the Shropshire Union Canal for a fortnight.

A man turned up today from a window and joiners company wanting to sell huge dustbins full of cut up window surrounds for £2 a bin load - apparently it's all part of their bit to reduce their re-cyclable waste and meet the targets they have to set for themselves. I bought 2 bin loads from him but couldn't help wondering about the environmental impact of burning white gloss paint that covers the 'logs'!?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home