Tuesday, January 17, 2006

WEBSITE DOMAIN SCAM WARNING

Attention all webmasters!!
Be warned that the DomainRegistry of America are on the prowl in the UK. A simple Google search reveals their sorded past in unethical trading practices having been fined and in serious trouble in the states. They send out mailshots that look extremely official and warn website owners that they need to renew their domain name immediately or risk loosing their site. Ignore these letters and bin them immediately. The 'renewal' actually authorises a transfer over to them -I know 'cos I've just been duped and are now fighting to transfer back. I'll let you know how things progress and will delete this if and when I get confirmation of a transfer back. Hopefully the website will remain unnafected but who knows with their background?

3 Comments:

At 5:56 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reading through your blog, saw this posting, I too got stung by them a few years ago and wouldn't let them get away with it either, I did manage to get a refund, unfortunately, it got refunded to a credit card which account had been closed a few weeks before...so the credit card company charged my company a hefty fee for using the card...doh! Well, I beat them anyway hey! How did you get on?

 
At 9:39 pm, Blogger Khayamanzi said...

Thanks for the comment here - it's good to know I'm not alone. I contacted Trading standards and there is nothing they can do as DROA are abroad, I contacted the American agencies and....nothing and I have emailed DROA dozens of times and they keep referring me to my old domain company. My old domain company tell me that DROA have locked the domain so they can't transfer me back, I have repeatedly requested DROA to unlock the domain and notify me and they have repeatedly ignored my emails. Much as I hate to admit defeat but I feel there is nothing more I can do and so am stuck with them for the next 2 years and then I will attempt to transfer back.

 
At 10:14 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm, I took a different approach. I telephoned them instead of emailing them (emails can be easy to ignore), even though of course that meant I had to call the US! They sounded very efficient over the phone and promised refund and cancellation of transfers. I think it happened within a week after that. Again probably not the most cost effective way but I was just too angry with them (and myself for having fallen for them) to let it go. Maybe you'd be better off going with it for 2 years...

ps: fascinated by your website and your blog, currently researching the liveaboard idea and your sites have been great sources of inspiration/information, thank you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home