Friday, December 08, 2006

I need to scream!

Now I don't want this blog to develop into nothing more than a grumbling forum but sometimes circumstances dictate that there is much to grumble about! I have contacted the marina here before with a polite request that boaters could be reminded about the BW rule of not running engines after 8.00pm. This request, like most others in the marina was totally ignored. I am now sitting here typing this at 9.20pm and the unserviced engine of an ex hire boat out on the linear moorings adjacent to me has been running since I returned home from work at 6.00. The boat is in darkness and has never moved in the time it has been here - indeed, it would appear that the engine has been left running whilst the owner goes to the pub. On a Friday evening when all I want to do is relax, this unlawful intusion is driving me mad right now. I have felt compelled to email BW and see if they can do anything. I have also sent the following email to the marina:

Considering my previous polite request for a reminder regarding the British Waterways by-law of not running engines after 8.00pm has been completely ignored, I have now had no option but to email an official complaint to British Waterways. It is now past 9.15pm on a Friday evening and the boat owner in question has, by all accounts, (yes - it's not just me who is fed up with this!)left his engine running, locked the boat up in darkness and gone to the pub. Surely it is not too much to ask to be able to sit quietly in the evening listening to classic FM without the unlawful intrusion of unserviced engines running.

Watch this space for any reply I might get, but on their past record of unprofessionalism - I wouldn't hold your breath! As for me now, I'm forced to get out of my own boat and go for a walk as this constant 'hum' is sending me insane!

5 Comments:

At 10:21 am, Blogger Fake SteveC said...

"I have contacted the marina here before with a polite request that boaters could be reminded about the BW rule of not running engines after 8.00pm."

A bit late, I realise, but I think the rule only applies to BW moorings. It's up to the marina what they apply on their own waters.

 
At 8:02 pm, Blogger Khayamanzi said...

Hi Richard and thanks for the input. I could be wrong but my last communication with BW suggested it was on all BW waters irrespective of who owned the land you were moored to, or to whom you paid the mooring fee to. As I say, I could be wrong but maybe Eugene Baston or someone else 'in the know' who reads this blog might be able to confirm this one?

 
At 8:05 pm, Blogger Khayamanzi said...

Sorry, I ought also to confirm that the boat in question was on a linear mooring off side on the canal rather than actually in the marina. The marina also state in their contracts that we have to sign that '....all British Waterways regulations that apply to the canal system also apply to vessels moored on marina property and must be adhered to.'

 
At 11:21 am, Blogger Fake SteveC said...

The official verbiage says: you may not "(a) use any electricity generator, including the Boat's engine, at any British Waterways' mooring between 8pm and 8am, unless you are moored in isolation, out of earshot of other people. We do not intend this Condition to stop you moving the Boat from the mooring." Make of that what you will!

 
At 2:26 pm, Blogger Khayamanzi said...

Usual BW vaqueness! It does imply that the rule is only on BW moorings I guess so the BW bylaw probably won't apply however the marina contract states that all BW bylaws on the canal also apply in the marina so whilst BW may not care - the marina ought! Still I'm gone now so don't care what happens and due to the wildand remoteness of Brinklowand the fact that there is currenlty no facilities we are all having to run engines/generators whenever possible so feel slightly hypocritical! (Although there are only 5 of us and we are certainly out of earshot of all but the most intrepid rabbit or fox!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home