Monday, August 13, 2007

Shroppie end to end - almost!

Moored up this evening just a few miles from Autherley Junction which will mean we will have completed the entire length of the Shropshire Union including the Middlewich Branch. We only cruised for a couple of hours but it took us most of the day! We had a lazy start this morning after yesterday and stopped for shopping in Wheaton Aston, (an excellent Spar shop in town!) and water.


A couple of days ago, I was locking through Beeston iron lock when I saw Will Chapman of 'Save Our Waterway' fame. He was on his way to meet Tony Hoyland from Towpath Talk . We had a good chat before passing in opposite directions. This evening at the waterpoint at Wheaton aston, I met Vic and Sue from NB No Problem, another fellow blogger who, until now, I had never actually met in person. The other day, I passed a very smart blue boat called Waterway Routes. I was cross with myself today when I was informed by Sue that not only is this also owned by a blogger, (and the website has much more!) but it is also a very interesting boat being electrically powered.


If this holiday is going to go down in (my) history for anything, it will be the sheer number of people I have met!
Tomorrow - another early start to clear the 21 flight Wolverhampton locks, (in forecasted winds of 29+MPH and 'heavy rain' - oh joy!) with a little sunshine hopefully in that we should be passing and stopping temporarily to chat with Steve and Julia on NB Even Balance who are coming up in the opposite direction so if you see 2 almost identical boats moored on a lock waiting area with a kettle whistling inside, please be patient, it will only be for a few minutes - honest!!
I was treated this evening by the lovely sight of Roger Fuller towing Illford on a long line. Both motor steerer and butty steerer were in traditional costume and both boats were looking resplendant. As ever, a great advert for the attention to detail and workmanship of Roger Fuller boatbuilders.
By the way, I tried to better my kingfisher quest today and managed this picture - spot the kingfisher, I promise he's in there somewhere and as I reduce the sizes of published pictures, it may be hard to find him!

6 Comments:

At 4:07 pm, Blogger Elsie said...

Hi Andy, just read your blog and realised you must have passed 'Bendigedig' and us moored at Nantwich by the aqueduct on Friday, Saturday and Sunday morning. Perhaps you passed by so early we were still asleep! Bye for now Elsie & Eric

 
At 7:10 pm, Blogger Khayamanzi said...

Hi there,
yes I did pass you and remember seeing the name but no-one was about! Sorry to have missed you but I'm sure we'll pass again sometime.
Regards

 
At 1:21 pm, Blogger Keith Lodge said...

A lovely of picture of Martin and Roger on Azalea and Ilford. Roger remembered seeing you and mentioned the fact when he got back.

 
At 4:55 pm, Blogger Khayamanzi said...

I have to admit, I took loads - it was such a lovely site to see!!

 
At 10:59 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the mention on your Blog.

I'm sorry we missed speaking - can you remember where you passed Waterway Routes?

Could it have been when we were moored at Christleton on our way into Chester?

Paul

 
At 5:29 pm, Blogger Khayamanzi said...

Hi Paul - no problem! (Pardon the pun!!)

Yes, I do believe that was the correct location of our passing. I noticed the boat but it was only when I met up with Sue that I twigged and was cross with myself. I will certainly look out in future!
Regards,
Andy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home